Tuesday, February 3, 2009

WE'VE GOT SPIRIT! YES WE DO!

I spelled checked and printed out chapter 5 today at the beginning
of my writing session. The book is now 59 pages. I was very excited about that. Since many agents ask for the first 50 pages (presumably because that usually seems to be a turning point in the plot), reaching that milestone always feels like some kind of accomplishment.

The other thing worth mentioning is that ghost that the title refers to made her first appearance today. She was the main character's girlfriend in life and she shows up in a dream he has. During their conversation, we find out that she needs something from him. So I guess the idea that there is often a major plot point around page 50 is not only true, but that with some editing, my pacing looks about right.

Thirdly, I was so happy with the way this four page scene turned out, I printed it out even before the chapter was finished, breaking a cardinal rule of mine: no printing until at least one draft of the chapter is complete. This rule is in place to make sure I keep writing and don't go into editing mode prematurely.

Finally, the idea that I printed out this fairly involving scene (if I may say so myself) about a ghost and her living boyfriend at 7 a.m. and that it didn't exist when I sat down at 6:15 is an amazing thought to me and one of the reasons I love to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment