Monday, February 9, 2009

GET BACK

When creating characters, it is important to find specific and individual details that set those characters apart and make them special. Since music always figures prominently in my writing (as well as my life), I thought it might be interesting to make my main characters fans of The Beatles.

Why would you make present-day teenagers fans of The Beatles, you ask? Three reasons. One, I thought that having my main characters be fans might make them stand out as individuals (as well as bonding them within the universe of the story). Two, because they are music icons that I can write about confidently because I know their work. Third, in a perfect world, if and when the book was a huge success, it would be great if I was in some small way responsible for introducing a new generation of fans to The Beatles.

As it turns out, number three was completely unnecessary.

My one concern was that today's teens would have any idea who The Beatles were. So I took a poll in each of my six classes, asking, "Raise your hand if you know who The Beatles are?" Not only did nearly all the hands go up, but they went up enthuastically.

My next question, "Can you name any of their songs" was immediately met with a storm of responses: "Let it Be," "Yellow Submarine," "Rocky Raccoon," "I Am the Walrus."

It was positively validating. I could write confidently about The Fab Four and my intended audience would know who I was talking about.

As a side note: another teacher who assists me in one of the classes noticed something that got past me. She pointed out, "at least they know the older songs." No one mentioned, "She Loves You," "Please, Please Me," or "I Want to Hold Your Hand."

Interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment