Thursday, February 19, 2009

INSPIRED BY OR PLAGIARISM?

I am this close (thumb and forefinger are almost touching) to reaching an important milestone: 100 pages! Nearly halfway through the story. I'll let you know in a couple days when I hit it.

It would have been tomorrow, but I am going to be off campus and so will not get my regular writing session in. That would bother me, but I am planning some non-writing, writing work.
As I've worked through this idea, it has occurred to me that I might be somewhat subconsciously influenced by the movie Ghost, which I saw only once a hundred years ago when it first came out. Consequently, I need to do some research and/or actually see the movie to ensure that I am not unintentionally "borrowing" scenes/ideas/lines etc. Considering that I just busted a young lady in class today for copying her essay--word for word--from another student's paper, it would hypocritical of me not to check this out.

There can be certain similarities I suppose--there are only so many notes in the ghost archetype that can be played--but I certainly want my work to be original.


***

Note:

1) To my friend who works in Mission Valley: I'll call you soon. It's been a month.
2) Hi, Val. Let me know if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment