Thursday, January 8, 2009

AND ON THE THIRD DAY. . .

Starting this book was difficult because of the infinite number of questions that need to be answered about things like backstory, point of view, prologue or no prologue (no, if you can avoid it), etc. So I did write a few pages in the last few days that I'm sure I will eventually be cut--almost certainly--or, at the very least, end up somewhere else in the book. The other benefit is that I get to meet the characters and listen to their voices for awhile.

But for the most part, what I've written so far has been complete crap.

But today, the third day, I started what I suspect might be the beginning of chapter 2 (or possibly chapter one--the opening of the book--if I have no prologue). I described a dream that the main character--Drew Bacino--has that mirrors the way his girlfriend died.

And it wasn't complete crap.

In my previous writing experiences, I was usually pretty good at presenting the visual imagery (i.e., what the character saw or description of what was around. . .). But I've been noticing that I'm now better at including the other senses in the first draft--smell, taste, touch, and sound.

I'm hoping this bodes well for a better first draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment