Wednesday, May 27, 2009

THE SMALL SUCCESSES. . .

Not everyone in the world wants to write a book. So writing one, to some people, isn't that big of a deal. So you have over 200 white pages sitting on your desk with little black squiggles on them. So what?

But I do want to write a book. I might even like to someday publish a book. And so, for better or worse, those 2oo plus pages represent a percent of my labor for the past five months of my life.

Finishing such a project, then, is something of an accomplishment. At least to me.

I've always thought that when we have the small successes in our life, such as reaching the small goals we set for ourselves, that we should stop, reflect on those successes, and yes, even celebrate.

To that end, since I know that by next Monday I should very likely be finished with the first draft of School Spirit, I have planned a small celebration.

To wit, I will be bringing in a box of donuts to share with some of my colleagues at work who know what I've been up to and have been kind enough to listen to me as I've talked about my trials.

You have, too, of course, but I'm not sure how to get you donuts.

But the point is: when we reach the small goals in life, when we have the small successes, the merry-go-round should stop, if only for a moment, and they should be acknowledged in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment