Thursday, May 28, 2009

DANNY CAN'T COME TO THE PHONE RIGHT NOW

All writers take notes. And I try to have a writing implement and notebook handy most times. But that's not always possible. So I thought I'd mention here one method I use for recording--literally--those brainstorms that occur when a pen and paper aren't so handy.

Typically, I have my cell phone with me and/or I'm close to the home phone (yes, we are the household that still has a landline. I think it's hooked up to Sara, the operator, in Mayberry, North Carolina). Since I do my writing at work before the school day begins, whenever I get a brainstorm that I can't immediately write down (while driving around town, for example), I just ring up my office phone and leave a message on my voicemail with whatever note I have about character, plot line, structure, detail, etc. Yesterday, for example, I called my voicemail because I realized now that the dream the main character has in the beginning of the book should echo how the bad guy is dispatched at the end of the book. So I called and left a message and, when checking messages the next morning, I wrote it down and put with my School Spirit materials.

This is an amazingly effective method for capturing those hard-to-capture thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment