Wednesday, April 22, 2009

PACING CONCERNS

As I said in the last post, the manuscript is weighing in at 138 pages. I was hoping for a first draft of between 200-220 pages, but in my outline, I don't forsee having another 62 pages of material, and I don't want to pad--especially toward the end and heading into the climax.

I'm hoping things get worked out in the second draft. This is, after all, the least-outlined book I've ever written. I've been trusting that the process will take me somewhere worth going and that I can add what I need to stitch it together later, tightening up the plot and pacing sometime after the first draft.

At least that's the plan. We'll see how it goes.

I'm still enjoying pushing nouns and verbs together, though, and I guess that's the whole point.

No comments:

Post a Comment