Monday, March 30, 2009

THAT'S LIFE. . .(PART II)

Due to health issues in my family, problems at home, added job responsibilities, and the end of our school's grading period, it's been about three weeks since I've been able to write word one on School Spirit.

As life intervenes, writers must certainly learn to forgive themselves for not getting to the keyboard and realize that, at times, there are issues that are justifiably more important than writing 200 plus papers of a novel manuscript that may never see the light of a Barnes and Noble bookshelf. We often feel guilty, nevertheless. All of the aforementioned issues, however, were clearly pressing and unavoidable. As a result, the book-on-spec was temporarily put on hold.

The good news is that I came out of the gate with such a strong burst that, even having missed three weeks, I'm probably still up-to-speed and will meet my goal of a first draft by the end of May, end of June at the latest. I am currently hovering around 122 pages and I figure the story will take just over 200 pages to complete. It shouldn't be that difficult to crank out another 80-90 pages in the next month or so, even if it is the climax/finale of the whole book.

Today, for the first time in nearly a month, I sat down and surpassed my daily goal of 500 words per session. I figure I came in somewhere around 700. Good enough for the first day back.

I might have missed an inning or two, but I'm still in the game.

That's a metaphor.

No comments:

Post a Comment